Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Calm before the storm: The final days of the lull

Arrghhhhhhhh!!

Yep. This is the lull that just won't quit. As always, there are some things going on though. First, since last time I wrote about some crazy date planned for a week ago, I figure I should briefly follow up on the fiasco that ensued:
___
She texted me earlier that day, about 6 hours before we were supposed to meet up. She asked if we could "move our date to next week," because she "wasn't feeling well at all." I said, sure. So Sunday, I texted her, and when she said she was feeling good, I asked her if she wanted to try to play pool again today. She said yes.

This really wasn't a girl I had any business going out with. Like I said -- other side of the tracks. When I first spoke to her on the phone, it was obvious she didn't even have basic manners. That, along with the tattoos, piercings, and the fact that she sounded like a high-school dropout (and quite possibly was).....

I knew I wasn't interested. Not at all - I couldn't even imagine it. But, I decided that I needed all the experience I could get, so I would go through with meeting her, and try to have a little fun. And try to practice with her everything I've been working for and writing about in this blog.

So I showed up, in one of the poor areas of my state, near her home. She didn't show. I texted her, and she first she said she didn't have a ride; then when I gave her some form of a "wtf?" response, she claimed she'd forgotten.

So, it took 19 different first-dates, but I was finally stood up. It was bound to happen sooner or later. It's no big deal. In fact, I learned a little something: Don't get involved with any of these low-class people (there are many on hotornot.com, and virtually none at all on the dating sites I've been using), and don't get involved in any bad situations. I need all the practice I can get, yeah, but the buck's gotta stop somewhere. Trying things like this just aren't worth it.
_____

July 9th, 2008. Somehow I feel that by that day, we will all know that this blog and this mission were not done in vain. By July 9th, I feel that, somehow, we will celebrate the socialturnaround's one-year anniversary by looking at enormous, clear progress. Spectacular stuff. But if that's to be, a lot has to happen in the next 63 days.

The lull continues, but I'm still gearing up. Things are going pretty well with the football club I joined. I tried an extended 1-on-1 conversation with a male teammate, and it wasn't anything great, but I felt like I learned from it. In fact, I feel like I've been learning from everything that I've done. Today, I had this crazy idea that I've learned so much in the last 10 months that I can somehow now control my feelings, thoughts, and actions in any social situation. It's interesting, but in order to see if that's real, I'm going to need some more social opportunities.

As it turns out, I've (finally) been introduced on eHarmony.com to several great new young women. It takes time to go through the online communication process, but right now I'm seeing great mutual interest, and so I expect to be meeting up with one or more of them in the next week or so.

It seems like I was so close to being able to be myself in the last couple dates I went on. It really looked like I was on the verge of a breakthrough, but alas - this lull came up - and I lost some momentum. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up where I left off.

Lastly, some good news. I'm still hanging out with the one friend I've made since I started, and we've actually become really close friends (think: we had a conversation about her future children calling me "uncle," and mine calling her "aunt"). I took her to Medieval Times to celebrate her passing the bar exam to practice law. I'm completely myself when I'm with her. No anxiety, no inhibition, no awkwardness - nothing. We both shouted and cheered loudly throughout the show. I was actually so funny that the people around us were laughing and talking about it. It didn't seem like there was a shy bone in my body.

2 comments:

Nobody said...

I liked your blog. I am in a very different phase of my life but I remember this stuff

good luck ... keep it up

:D

Anonymous said...

Would love to hear your story, nobody.

 
Free Hit Counters