Thursday, January 31, 2008

50 First Dates: Date #20

Well, back when I talked about being "on the brink," there were several girls I was communicating with. There was one in particular that I'd had really good conversation with over e-mail, so I decided to go through with meeting her tonight, even though things have obviously started to develop with another girl.

We met up at Starbucks (as usual). I didn't feel anxious with her, and was pretty comfortable. My voice didn't sound boomingly confident, but it was pretty good. I used a handful of conversation topics I had in mind, but they were mostly based on specific things we'd talked about over e-mail, rather than the topics on the list. Nope, didn't really need anything specific from the list....it was a pretty normal conversation.

I'm nearly certain that the girl really liked me. I could sort of see a twinkle in her eyes. When we left (after 1 hour - the Starbucks closed up), she kept talking for a while (outside in the cold), and said "it was fun." We hugged, and that was it.

This is an intentionally short post. I've written so many entries about these first-dates, it's kind of unreal. In this case, to my surprise, I didn't find myself interested enough in the girl to want a second date with her.

I believe that will be my last Starbucks date for a while. For the time being, I've lost interest in going on blind dates with girls from online dating sites. These things have been my lifeblood in gaining social experience since I started the blog in August - it's been one heck of a ride, but now I think maybe it has come to an end. I may never do it again.

I have to make progress. If I want to go on dates with any new girls in the future, I think I will just have to force myself to find and meet them in person. That would be new, and it would show definite, absolute progress, since when I started out, that seemed impossible. And it would make for some more interesting blog entries.

But for now, I am still seeing the last girl I talked about. I called her tonight, and really enjoyed talking to her for the five minutes she was on the line. This time, instead of asking for a specific date, I asked if she wanted to get together sometime this weekend. She said yes, and we told each other our schedules. We have a tentative time picked out, and yet there was no mention of a specific activity. Cool! That's new to me, so it should be fun.

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counters