Friday, March 14, 2008

Another Experiment in Transparency

Last weekend, I had a pleasant surprise. The girl I met a few weeks ago - the amazing one, who I was completely and hopelessly nervous with - finally responded to the e-mail I had sent her afterwards. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to experiment again with transparency. I wondered how she'd react if I told her exactly what I was thinking. So I did.

--------
Me to Her, Feb 22
Hey Jan. It was fun seeing you the other day, in the flesh and all. You know I thought you looked different in person, and I just figured it out - no nose ring! At least, I didn't notice one :) Anyway, hope your bibliography turned out well and you came out of the ice storm unscathed for once. =)

Her to me, Mar 8
Hey James! Omg i am so sorry for getting back to you so late! I have been overloaded with work since we last saw each other.. In fact, I am approaching finals very soon! It was fun meeting you, I had a good time. And yes, you are right, I got rid of my nose ring because my mother absolutely hated it.. she let me wear it for 3 years and made me swear that I would remove it when i go back to school.. to be honest, i do miss it.

Well I hope you are well. I just wanted to let you know, things are gonna be kinda crazy for me because of school and don't know if I will have much time for anything else.. but thanks again for hanging out with me! :) It was nice to talk with someone outside of school. Take care!!

Janet

Me to Her
Hey Jan. Good to hear from you :) Well it looks like it's safe for me to confess this now...I think you're amazing! Actually so much that I was so nervous with you I literally couldn't even speak...hahaha! As I'm sure you noticed! Good luck on finals and everything :)

Her to Me
I have to say that was a very sweet email.. i have never heard anything like that before and so I can honestly say that I am pretty embarrassed. It sucks that school is really sucking up all my time, it would be very unfair for you since you live all the way in Brookline. But I want you to know that I think you are seriously really sweet and have seriously the nicest smile! Please feel free to call me when you are bored or if you are ever in Boston.. I am done with finals on Friday and am planning on going out to celebrate.. you are more than welcome to come out if you want. I will be out of the country on March 17th- the time has finally arrived for me to go to Peru.. so this weekend I want to just have fun :) Anyhow, I hope you choose to keep in touch. Jan

PS Are you on facebook? Can I add you? I totally want to share Peru pictures with you!

Me to Her
Yeah, are you the one in the LA network with the family profile photo? My last name is Napolitano....it might have been your last name in a couple years too if I hadn't been so nervous, cause ordinarily you wouldn't have been able to resist me.
--------

Of course, the names of the people and cities have been changed. I'll unshroud the mystery of who I am and what I look like after I finish this thing. But for now, I thought it would be fun to give you a glimpse into what goes on during "the mission." In this case, I don't think trying to be friends with her will work.....but I'm hanging out on Sunday with the first date-turned-friend I created a week ago, also by being transparent. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counters