Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Lemonade

Alright. So my would-be second-date with the girl from eHarmony was cancelled on Monday, with a mere 7 hours of notice. A little discouraging? Not really...I was tired, and going out with her mostly out of obligation to my mission (and, of course, because I thought we had some potential).

But I had another date scheduled for the next day. A date with a girl that I mentioned in the Lab Notes, who was incredibly attractive. More on that soon, but the point is that I wanted to "practice" some before meeting the awesome girl the next day.

So I was determined to do something on my mission on Monday. Luckily, I had an opportunity: one of my Meetup.com groups (rock climbing) had a meetup scheduled for the same night. It was their first meetup. I met several people, but most of those were nothing to report here, as it was just more of the "acquaintance making" that I was already able to handle before starting this blog.

But I do have good news. And no: it's not that I saved a load of money on my car insurace by switching to Geico!

There was one other male who showed up at the Meetup. He, like me, was new to rock climbing. He was VERY talkative. As talkative as anyone! Just like with all of my 1-on-1 meetups, this fact helped me immensely. I made just the slightest effort, and soon got into a conversation with him. I asked him about where to buy the gear for climbing, and this led to him telling me some stories about his marine days, and off onto all other kinds of topics. What we each did for a living, his kids (he's a half generation older than me, but somehow this is still working), his lady problems, all kinds of stuff. He talked so much that I actually had to cut it short so that I could get away to make a phone call to set up a date for the next day (that's going to be a good post....above this one!).

The last time I went to one of these things, I didn't actually report back to you in the blog. I had claimed in an entry that my goal was to leave with the phone number of one new person. I didn't - not even close. But this time, I was not going to fail you.

I asked if his e-mail was on the Meetup.com group page. He said yeah, and to send him an e-mail and he'd give me his phone number. Wow! A first for me. Making a friend...and a male one, and that. He talked a bit more (very talkative - should help), and when I finally cut out, he said he was definitely looking forward to getting that e-mail from me.

Yeah! So the moral of the story is this: find a hobby that requires a partner, and find a meetup group on the Internet! This could work - I'm hoping we can meet up to partner for rock climbing, which, by the way, is very fun! And hopefully if I go to the same place regularly, I'll make another friend or two, and can expand outwards. More on that later, but the concept is a simple one. So it looks like I turned lemons into lemonade (my broken date into a new friend!)

Next post....

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counters