Thursday, October 18, 2007

Second Round Success

The true measure of success of my efforts is the extent to which I am able to (simply!) be myself in social interactions. I'm doing a lot of dating (because dates are easily accessible occasions to practice socializing), though, and those shindigs have their own little measure of success, which is worth noting. The two dates I went on in less than 24 hours were both successful, in that sense. In other words, both girls initiated the "follow-up," suggesting that we see each other again. For example:

Hey,

I had a good time the other night.

We should meet up again.

Jane

As always, the names have been changed to protect the innocent!

Now, I wasn't quite myself on our date, but that e-mail was definitely encouraging. After all, the first, second, third, and fifth girls I went out with lost all interest after meeting me! So far, I believe the improvement can be attributed to 1) Incorporating some fun conversation topics, 2) using the two strategies from my post entitled Inhibition, and 3) generally having more experience going in.

The thing about lists of converstion topics is that they are finite. Sure, they might get you through a few interactions, but they eventually run thin (see: Sinking Ship). Again: using lists of topics is obviously not how people normally converse. Odd as it may seem, in the next couple days I plan to observe some normal, good interactions and try to figure out what facilitates them. I'll make notes in the Lab Notes entry, and try to determine a strategy to try out in my next social practice session.

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counters