Monday, October 15, 2007

Sunken Ship

I inadvertently ended up spending a lot of time and space talking about the girl who was the focus of the last blog entry. Now, though, I'm ready to move on. But before I do, I figured I should post a brief update on that topic.

I sent her a text message on Friday. I decided, what the heck? This one looks like a complete goner, so I'll try something entirely different as an experiment. I wrote a somewhat deep, complimentary message to her. (I was anxious even doing this, but I forced myself to press the Send button. To get through the feeling of embarrassment that followed, I literally just grinned and bore it).

Happy birthday, Beautiful. Hope you find some time to celebrate the anniversary of the day the world was first graced with Jane Marie Doe.

Of course, I used her real name, not "Jane Marie Doe." But you get the idea.

Now, as you'll recall from the last post, this girl couldn't get away from me fast enough on our fourth date. She didn't respond at all to the text message, and I didn't expect her to. A couple days later, I logged into eHarmony, and saw that she had updated her profile. Hmm! Perhaps an ominous sign that she is really done this time, and even looking for someone else (already!).

It was a bit of a zinger seeing that. The first two times (ridiculous!) that I thought it was over, I felt pretty down - even depressed. This time, I'm virtually unfazed. By now, I've convinced myself that she wasn't a girl with whom there was any long-term potential, anyway. But as I promised last week: no more jumping to conclusions. I don't plan to initiate contact with her again - the ball's in her court - but it's possible ("anything's possible") that she's still interested, so who knows.

I learned a lot from that girl, over four dates and a little telecommunication between August and October. That was all a big help for my mission. I broke all kinds of new ground! First second (and third, and fourth) date, first time driving with a passenger other than family, first kiss, first second kiss...! I tried out on her some things I blogged about - my attempt at solving Inhibition, and at being myself. And my pre-planned conversation topics. And I learned what doesn't work, and what I need to improve and figure out. That's a lot of new experience that is going to help me going forward - big time.

So I consider this a success. And I consider it the end of Round 1 of my mission.

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counters