Saturday, October 6, 2007

Still Alive

Well folks, I'm still alive. The past week, it's been up-and-down, as far as my recovery from heartache goes. I thought I would be all better by now, but I've made this harder on myself by letting the issue linger. Not to be vague: I'm trying to say that I e-mailed the girl who never got back to me after I asked her out on a fourth date. It's been 3 days and she hasn't responded to the e-mail, so I'm convinced she is just ignoring me. A clean break would have made it easier on me, no doubt. I wish she would have just been straight with me, but oh well, I won't complain here. (Considering where I started out 3 months ago, it's amazing as heck that I even went on 3 dates with someone!!)

I haven't really don't anything since I posted last week. Don't worry, though - that's mainly because I had to put my remaining energy into something else. Something else that will be huge for the mission. Basically, I'm trying to get a job! There are many, many social issues associated with that, but I will hold off on discussing them until after I do indeed lock up some employment. For now, it suffices to say that it will be huge - a major opportunity to work on social skills - much more important than my attempts at dating, making friends online, etc.

So as to not make this post completley useless, I want to tell you about an idea that I have. An amazingly great idea that came to mind the other day.

I think I've come up with the greatest conversation topic for talking to a new person.

Better than anything else in the Conversation Topics entry...!

Here it is: 43things.com. Yep, the site where most of you discovered this blog.

In case you don't know, 43things.com is a social networking site where people make lists of everything under the sun that they want to do in their lives. From eating a peanut butter and pickle sandwich, to learning French, to becoming rich, people list all kinds of things.

I figure this would be an amazing topic of conversation, for a number of reasons. First of all, it's fun! Everyone has something fun on their 43 things. Second, it's a perfect way to find out more about your new acquaintance. Moreover, it will easily raise enough other topics to last for as long as you could possibly want to talk. Also, it will make conversation easier on people like me, who have trouble quickly thinking of answers to questions, and things to say in general, until we can get comfortable and be ourselves with the new person (the ultimate goal!).

I stumbled about the last time I was asked the reciprocal of my Lottery question, because I didn't have much in mind ahead of time, and I wasn't comfortable enough to think and answer well on the spot. But with 43things.com, I already have a list in mind, so hopefully I can't screw it up.

I plan to try this in my next several meetings. I'll save it until it tangentially relates to something else that is mentioned, or until there's a pause in the conversation or I run out of other ideas. Just ask if the other person is on 43things.com. If they say yes, ask them what's on their list. If they say no, tell them about the site, and ask them what things they would put on their list. Share what's on yours, and try to elaborate as much as possible. This elaboration is the other idea I had this week. It's very simple, but I'm going to try to improve this talking-about-myself problem by simply trying to elaborate on whatever I say as much as possible. As usual, I'll discuss the strategy more after I try it out and see how it works, if at all.

I'm planning tentatively on 1-2 more first-dates this week, and hopefully some platonic activities, so we will have lots more to talk about soon.

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counters