Saturday, August 4, 2007

"So you ready to meet now?"

Well folks, it's all coming together now. I started planning all of this on about July 2. Now it's August 4, and I've finally gotten to the point where I'm about ready to start meeting (and talking on the telephone with) the new people I've been communicating with on-line. There was a lot of attrition throughout the process, but it looks like I've been able to achieve that goal of sort of "overbooking," having more social engagements than I really even have time for. 1 platonic friend from craig's list, 1 person from match.com, 2 from eHarmony, and others waiting in the wings :) I'm also doing job interview type of stuff, but I find that business socializing is a somewhat different animal, so I likely won't discuss that much in this blog. Right now I'm focusing on keeping a good mindset, as I discussed earlier, and setting up these initial meetings. I find it a little comforting to have so many...it's like I have an immediate backup in case anything doesn't go well. But everything should go just fine! Blog entries on these things soon, so it should be interesting.

Oh...while I'm blabbering. Since some of my socializing is going to consist of dating, I thought it would be a good time to recap my previous history with such things. In high school, I remember 2 girls - who I was extremely uninterested in - giving me their telephone numbers. Of course, I never called. In college, 4 girls who I was quite uninterested in also gave me their telephone numbers. I never called 3 of them. 1 of them asked me out (implicitly) on a date through facebook, and we arranged it and met up...went to a basketball game, then briefly to her campus apartment, then she drove us to a movie and back to campus. I was pretty comfortable (though still somewhat uninhibited), obviously because I had no real interest in her. I went because I had already started thinking I needed to seriously work on this stuff...that was only about 6 months ago.

Finally, there was one time about 3 1/2 years ago that there was a girl I absolutely adored, and asked for her telephone number (campus extension at the time). Now THAT was dreadful! I was extraordinarily anxious, and my left eye was twitching like CRAZY for the entire time I was talking to her. I experienced that eye twitch often when I got really anxious in college...usually as a result of some social thing, like having to give a presentation. Anyway, the experience was so embarrassing that I was super glad when she graduated and I didn't have to face her on campus again. I have a pretty good mindset now, and I'm doing all the things I talked to you about in terms of minimizing anxiety and all, so I hope to NEVER experience a twitch (or anything else) like that again! I already sense some distance from that now, but by the time this blog is done, it'll be a million miles behind me.

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counters