Thursday, August 2, 2007

"What do you think about talking sometime?"

Welp. I said I'm getting close to actually doing some stuff for the socialize-as-much-as-possible mission. I haven't bothered to post updates on what I'm doing on those particular sites (and I haven't done anything out of the ordinary offline, so I really need to get on that), so just a quick summary:

* Nothing going on with yahoo personals or date.com. I met one person on yahoo who I said I would meet up with when she moves here in a couple months, but, that's pretty irrelevant for now.

* On match.com there is 1 girl who is apparently very interested in me (i.e., she talks a lot in e-mails), so unless I chicken out, I will almost certainly be meeting up with her soon

* I have one (platonic) female friend I made from craig's list/e-mailing, and it looks certain we'll meet up when she is free. We have exchanged phone numbers, but haven't yet talked. I have a second friend from that site, with an e-mail conversation like 110 messages long, but I know she's shy so I don't have an immediate expectation of meeting up with her soon.

* I joined eHarmony. Shocking even to me, but I decided to use every resource possible..! I mean, I'm obviously not particularly looking for anything serious, so I was quite reluctant to join a site that focuses on getting people married. It's easy though....I had no idea, this site gives you a bunch of matches (like 88 in a week), and then it's all multiple choice communication for a while. Anyway, see the next bullet.

* I've exchanged a few long messages with one person I met on eHarmony. Tonight she ended her message with "What do you think about talking sometime?" When I saw this, I had a panicky sort of anxious reaction. After a few moments of this, I remembered what I posted last time, and tried to think some positive thoughts. Have to work on that, but anyway....I intend to practice what I post and not avoid this! I have mixed feelings about the phone....sometimes I think it's easier, and I know I sound and usually feel good making business calls and of course talking to my 1 or so friends. But sometimes I think it's awkward compared to speaking in-person. So in keeping with my new philosophy, I'm just going to think positively about it now, because it should be fine. So here's the gameplan:
1. I'll tell her sure, that'll be cool, and exchange phone numbers and a time or whatever within the next day or so.

2. For this one, I will make a post with a list of a few things I have in mind to chat with her about. I would prefer not to use it, but it'll be a nice standby in case of any "awkward silences" and should make me feel a little more comfortable/confident going in.

3. I will relax, think positively, and just do it! To try is to succeed in this game.

4. I'll post an update, telling you all about how it went, of course!

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counters